The tombstones in this cemetery,
range from 1847 to 1972.
There are four war veterans buried there: two Civil War Veterans (Union), one Union soldier who died in Andersonville Prison, Georgia, and one World War I veteran.
The majority of the people buried here, died in the 1800's.
The grave of Pleasant Anderson, who was unjustly lynched by a group of Blakesburg town people, is in the Bailey cemetery.
Orange Bailey, who was the first homesteader in Davis County is buried here.
Four generations, of the same bloodline, of Baileys, are buried here.
Thirty-five of the 89, who are buried here were children who died between birth and five years old. The majority were infants.
1. Children of E.W. & S.A. Good
2. Matilda - Wife of Z. Rogers; died June 7, 1866, age 64Y 2M 26D
3. Nancy N.I.N., dau. of G.W. & S. Trussell, died Dec. 25, 1861, aged 2M 28D
4. George W. Trussell, died at Andersonville Prison, Ga., Sept. 9, 1864, aged 49Y 6M 25D, A member of Co. D. 6th Iowa Reg.
5. Unidentified Rock Marker
6. Unidentified Rock Marker
7. Jefferson D., son of J.W. & H.W. Anderson, died Aug. 10, 1863, aged 9M 27D.
8. Henry H., son of P. & H. Anderson, died Dec. 27, 1867, aged 3M 25D.
9. Mary E., dau. of P. & H. Anderson, died Apr. 14, 1869, aged 5M 12D.
10. Evva May, dau. of P. & H. Anderson, died Mar. 10, 1879, aged 2M 16D.
11. Pleasant, husband of Henrietta Anderson, died Dec. 29, 1884, aged 39Y 3M 15D.
12. Sarah A., dau. of W.K. & H. J. Robb, died May 20, 1857, aged 7M 27D.
13. John H, son of W. K. & H.J. Robb, died June 6, 1857, aged 2Y 6M 27D.
14. Unidentified foundation.
15. John W., son of W. K. & H.J. Robb, born July 7, 1860, died June 26, 1861.
16. Abraham L., son of W.K. & H. J. Robb, born Oct. 8, 1864, died Nov. 27, 1864.
17. Rutha, wife of W. Tate, died Mar. 18, 1860, aged 54Y 3M 26D.
18. Silvester, son of AC & A.J. Norton, died Aug. 13, 18S8, aged 5M 3D.
19. Amanda J., wife of Amos Norton, died June S, 1878, aged 5OY 11M 21D.
20. Amos Norton, died July 13, 1886, aged 90Y 3M.
21. Unidentified Rock. aged 52Y 6M 12D.
22. P. Good, GAR 1861-1865, Private of Co. B, 36 Ia, Inft, d. Mar. 13, 1882
23. Almanda, wife of W. H. McIntyre, died June 2, 1888, aged 21Y 9M 20D.
24. Sylvester S. Bai1ey, died Sept. 10, 1886, aged 67Y 3M 17D.
(Opposite side of stone) EUPHANIA, wife of S.S. Bailey, died Oct. 4, 1876, aged 32Y 1M 7D.
25. Same as above.
26. Smith, son of S.S. & E. Bailey, died Feb. 15, 1863, aged 18D.
27. Orange T., son of S.S. & E. Bailey, died Jan. 1876 (can't read), aged 1Y.
28. Viola, dau of I. & A.H. Kinion, died June 28, 1890, aged 1M 9D, Opposite side of above stone: Annie H., wife of Irven Kinion, died July 17, 1890, aged 20Y 8M 23D.
29. (OUR DARLING), dau. of L.L. Swaim, died Sept. 20, 1882, aged 8M 22D. (BABY)
30. (OUR DARLING), son of L.L. Swaim, died Oct. 11, 1902, aged 1Y 8M 11D
Two unidentified Rock Markers near No. 31.
31. Letita G., wife of Lewis Swaim, 1867-1923. Lewis Swaim, 1866-1938.
32. Inez L., dau. of A. & M. Bailey, died Mar. 26, 1900, aged 5Y 4M 24D.
33. Unidentified Rock Marker.
34. Peter Groom, died Mar. 2, 1857, aged 37Y 1OM 13D.
35. SMITH BAILEY, died June 1862, aged 76 years.
36. E1izabeth dau. of 0. & N. Bailey, died Jan. 19, 1855, aged 2 weeks & 1D.
37. Franklin, son of 0. & N. Bailey, died July 5, 1854, aged 1Y 7M.
38. Wm. Kent, died May 2, 1868, aged 73Y 4M lOD.
39. Unidentified Rock Marker.
40. William R., son of J. H. & A. Edwards, died Sept. 1, 1867, aged 16Y 7M 13D.
41. Daniel L. T., son of J. N. & E. G. Noland, died Apr. 13, 1881, aged 1Y 18D,
42. John N. Noland, died July 25, 1885, aged 45Y 1OM 20D.
43. Joshua Johnson, died Mar. 3, 1884, aged 66Y 11M 17D.
44. Unidentified Rock Marker.
45. Unidentified' Rock Marker.
46. Charley L., son of L. W. & E. Watters, died Dec. 9, 1884, aged 3Y 9M 27D.
47. Walter N., son of L. W. & E. Watters, died May 7, 1879, aged 1OD.
48. Unidentified foundation.
49. Samuel Tipton, BLKSMITH Co K 13 Regt. Mo. Cav. Civil War, March 31, 1843 Jan. 9, 1918.
50. Unidentified Rock Marker
51. Unidentified Rock Marker.
52. Mabel Edith Watters = 1908-1908.
53. Pherigo, Burnett R., Aug. 8, 1902-Aug. 21, 1960. Pherigo, Clara E., Dec. 30, 1897.
54. Alice M., dau. of W. S. & Eva Bailey, died Aug. 19, 1907, aged 25D.
55. BAILEY, Evaline, May 26, 1868-June 26, 1943.
BAILEY, Simpson, Feb. 6, 1861-June 18, 1936.
56. Maria, dau. of 0. & L. Bailey, died Mar. 4, 1854, aged 19Y, 27D.
57. Lydia W., wife of 0. Bailey, can't read copy.
58. BAILEY, Orange, Mar. 11, 1811 - June 18, 1905.
BAILEY, Lydia, wife, Jan. 7, 1812 - Aug. 8, 1847.
BAILEY, Nancy, Dec. 26, 1831- May 7, 1895.
59. Unidentified Rock Marker.
60. Marker M.B.
61. Marker E.B.
62. Unidentified Rock Marker.
63. Unidentified Rock Marker.
64. Unidentified Rock Marker.
65. Peter Marcelle
66. Unidentified Foot Stone. Probably for P. Good.
67. Major F., son of J. W. & E. King, died May 29, 1887, aged 6M 21D.
68. Tommy D., son of J.E. & M. J. Miller, died Aug. 29, 1881, aged 1Y 7D.
69. Mattie N., died Aug. 17, 1884, aged 3Y 1M 8D.
Nellie M., died Aug. 24, 1884, aged 5Y 11M 7D.
Children of J. W. & F. A. King
70. Daniel W., son of J. & D. Robb, died Nov. l852, aged 1Y 3M.
71. Etty, dau. of J. & D. Robb
72. William Roland, 1830-1901.
Pelina Roland, 1833-1901.
73. Unidentified Marker.
74. Unidentified Marker.
75. ROLAND, William Allen, 1861-1902.
ROLAND, Martha Lippert, 1870-1950.
76. WATSON, F. ROLAND, W.W.I, 1895-1972.
77. STOCKER, Job, son of P.N. & J. Stocker, died Nov. 11, 1902, aged 3M 11D.
78. STOCKER, Hiram, son of G. & L. J. Stocker, died Mar. 29, 1863, aged 3M 3D.
79. STOCKER, Aaron, son of G. & L. J. Stocker, died Apr. 15, 1857, aged 1OM 15D.
80. WARD, wife of John Ward, May 10, 1895, aged 26Y 1M 1D.
81. Unidentified foundation.
82. Lucy J. wife of Geo. STOCKER, died Mar. 22, 1896, aged 56Y 2M 1OD.
83. Unidentified Rock Marker.
84. Isaac S. STOCKER, died June 18, 1897, aged 30Y 4M 4D.
85. Unidentified foundation.
86. Unidentified foundation.
87. Unidentified foundation.
88. Unidentified foundation.
89. Unidentified foundation.
Directions to Bailey Cemetery from Ottumwa, Iowa.
Starting at the intersection of Mary Street and U.S. Highway 63, turn left off Mary onto U.S. 63N. Proceed on this highway thru junction of 63 and 34 until 63 turns off to the right. Stay on U.S. 34 W. proceed on 34 W. for 11.4 miles, or turn-off for Blakesburg, Iowa. Turn left (South) on highway 213. Stay on 213 for 3.8 miles, to stop sign. Turn right, then left, and proceed south on Monroe County road T7J for 4.8 miles to Lake Wapello turn-off; turn left (East). Stay on this road for one mile; at the end of the one mile will be a farm gate on the right. Turn right, proceed on this roadway .3 mile, then turn right, go .4 mile to the cemetery.
Additional note, in case roadways are gone.
Where Monroe County road T7J intersects the Monroe County, Davis County line, proceed South for .5 miles, then proceed East for 1 mile. Turn South for .3 miles, then East for .4 mile.