SMITH6 BAILEY (THOMAS5, OLIVER4, EPHRAIM3, JOHN2, JOHN (HADDAM FOUNDER)1) was born 03 November 1789, Haddam, Middlesex, CT, and died 07 June 1862, Marion Twp., Davis Co., Iowa. He married ROSEMANTY ROGERS, about 1810 in Canton Twp., Bradford Co., PA.
The children of SMITH BAILEY and ROSEMANTY ROGERS are:
+i. ORANGE7 BAILEY b. 11 Mar 1811 Canton Twp., Bradford Co., PA
ii. SYLVESTER BAILEY b. 2 Jun 1818 or another source 24 MAY 1819, Canton Twp., Bradford Co., PA; m. Euphania TATE ( d/o Waddy TATE and Rutha MILES; d.10 SEP 1886
iii. Elizabeth b. before 1820 [estimated from 1820 census]
iv. Eunice b. before 1820 [estimated from 1820 census]
v. THOMAS BAILEY b. 2 Jan 1824 Muskingum Co., OH, m. Martha Ward
vi. Rachael b. between 1825 and 1830 [estimated from 1840 census]
vii. William b. between 1825 and 1830 [estimated from 1840 census]
· Smith Bailey was a farmer and stock-raiser.
· Smith Bailey and Rosemanty Rogers Bailey are on the assessment rolls, voting lists and other sources as "Residents at the organization of Bradford Co., PA, 1812-13. The taxable inhabitants (all males 21 years and over and females owning property)", from Clement F. Heverly's Pioneer and Patriot Families of Bradford Co., Pa., 1800-1825, Vol. II, 1915, reprint pages 189-200.
· From: "Franklin Co., OH Cemetery Books" published by The Franklin County Genealogical Society, Vol VI, Washington Twp., Franklin Co., OH, p. 63, "Rosemanty died 2 Dec 1843 at age 53. She is buried in Indian Run cemetery in Washington Twp, Franklin Co, OH. She is the only Bailey in the cemetery. Some of the stones/bodies were moved to Dublin cemetery. Old readings show her stone was there but now it's not".
· From: "The HISTORY OF DAVIS COUNTY, IOWA; Des Moines, State Historical Company, 1882", About 1821, Smith Bailey moved to Muskingum Co., Ohio. He removed to Franklin Co., OH about 1829. (See Orange Bailey for additiona details).
· Rosemanty ROGERS was born in Catskill, Green Co., NY September 24, 1789. She was the daughter of Zepheniah Rogers and Elizabeth Rood who lived in Canton Twp., Bradford Co., PA from before 1812 when the county was formed until about 1821. Zepheniah Rogers was a private in CT during the Revolutionary War and is listed in the "DAR PATRIOT INDEX, Centennial Edition PART III" page 2506. He died 7 Oct 1823 in Franklin Co., OH
· Census records for Smith BAILEY:
1820 PA Census Index , Page
Bailey, Smith PA BEDFORD CO. CANTON TWP 103 1820 (Bedford is now Bradford)
1830 US Census Index: Dublin, Washington Twp., Franklin Co., OH - p 12.
1840 US Census Index: Norwich Twp., Franklin Co., OH - p 129.
1850 BAILEY, SMITH Bradford
County PA 385 Springfield Township
Federal Population Schedule PA 1850 Federal Census Index PAS6a105583
1860 Bailey, Smith IA DAVIS CO. MARION TWP 690 1860
1860 BAILEY, SMITH Davis County
IA 690 Marion Township
Federal Population Schedule IA 1860 Federal Census Index IA2315671
· From IGI: Smith BAILEY
Birth: 3 Nov 1789 Lee, Berkshire, Massachusetts
Father: Thomas BAILEY
Batch number: C500931
Vital records of Lee, Massachusetts, to the year 1850
· From Grave Stone Records of Davis County, Iowa; copied by Graves Registration W. P. A. Project:
Name: Smith Bailey
Birth Date: 1786
Death Date: Jun 1862
Comment: Row 2 bk. 86 1/2
1. "1820 census for Canton
Twp., Bradford Co., PA".
2. "Pioneers & Patriots of Bradford County, PA", by Clement Heverly, 1913.
3. "Vital Records of Lee, MA"
4. "Franklin Co., OH Cemetery Books" published by The Franklin County Genealogical Society, Vol VI, Washington Twp., Franklin Co., OH
5. "The HISTORY OF DAVIS COUNTY, IOWA; Des Moines, State Historical Company, 1882", pages 680 and 681.
Rosemanty Rogers' Family History
Rosemanty ROGERS, wife of Smith BAILEY, was born 24 SEP 1789 in Catskill, Green, NY. She died 2 DEC 1843 in Washington Twp., Franklin Co., OH at 54 years of age. She is buried in Indian Run Cemetery.
Generation 2 (parents)
Zepheniah ROGERS was born either 7 or 18 MAR 1747 in Mendon, Worcester, MA [military and vital records differ]. He died 7 OCT 1823 in Franklin Co., OH, at 76 years of age. The Vital Records of Mendon, MA: Pg 97 Hayward, Zepheniah, son of Abigail 18 Mar 1746 (1746-7 Town Copy). Transcient person. He married ROOD, Elizabeth in Litchfield, Litchfield Co., CT, March 7, 1770.
Elizabeth ROOD was born 16 APR 1753 in Torrington, CT. She died 21 MAR 1838 in Franklin Co., OH, at 84 years of age.
Generation 3 (grandparents)
Abigail HAYWARD was born ABT 1730. A New England Historical and Genealogical Society [NEHGS] researcher says that NEGHS is sure that this Abigail did not live in Mendon, nor was she probably from there. She was on her way from point A to B and the baby [Zepheniah] arrived. It was in her favor that the town agreed to record his birth, and the NEHGS researcher said an undesirable would not have had this privilege. NEHGS isn't even convinced that Zepheniah was illegitimate.
Isaac ROOD was born 23 MAR 1726 STAFFORD, Tolland, CT.